Replacement of the fan of a Polacel cooling tower
We were asked by a Rotterdam vegetable oil refinery to replace a fan of a Polacel cooling tower. The existing fan was a 14-foot fan with aluminium blades.
Conditions set by the customer:
- It must be an Atex fan. (zone II 2G, T1-T6)
- It must be more efficient than the existing fan.
- It must be quieter than the existing fan.
- Account must be taken of the fans of the other existing cooling towers to keep as few as possible replacement parts in stock.
Almeco supplied and installed a 14-foot Atex fan with the following properties:
|Diameter of the impeller||14 feet|
|Number of blades||6|
|Execution||Atex (zone II 2G, T1-T6)|
|Blades||Glass fibre-reinforced polyester - anti-static - self-extinguishing|
|Clamp block/clamping ring||Hot-dip galvanised/steel|
|Hub disk||Hot-dip galvanised|
|Hub||Steel with special antistatic coating|
|Bolts and nuts||Hot-dip galvanised (A2 possible without surcharge)|
Work carried out by Almeco:
- Complete maintenance of the cooling tower
- Disassembly of the existing drive gear
- Replacement of the gearbox with an overhauled gearbox supplied by the customer
- Installation of new drive shaft and alignment of this shaft
- Installation of fan supplied by Almeco
- Vibration checks on the installed fan for control purposes (balancing was not necessary)
The cooling tower with the new fan is now operational again.